Middle School City Championships
The City's middle school debate league is the largest middle school debate program in the nation. And so in 2012 we founded the city's first middle school debate championships where every city school is invited to send their top 4 debate teams. The Tournament is hosted in March after our regular season (September - February) ends. Unlike our other tournaments it is a two-day tournament featuring elimination rounds on the final day.
Location and Schedule:
- Our Awards Ceremony will recognize the top speakers in each event with Speaker Medals and Gavels. Top Teams will receive Plaques.
- Each school in New York City is invited to send their top four teams. Team selection is up to the coach (ie your top overall debate teams, hosting a school tournament, other).
- All students participating must have attended at least two NYCUDL tournaments. We offer tournaments from October - February so there are at least five opportunities before the City Championships.
- Volunteers are needed to judge and help throughout both days! If you can judge on Saturday or Sunday please complete our Judge Registration Form. Judges should arrive between 8:30am-9:00am. Judge training, breakfast and lunch is provided. Click here to sign up!
On behalf of the New York City Urban Debate League, you are cordially invited to the NYCUDL Middle School City Championship Tournament for two days of exciting, fun and intense debates.
We will offer three debate formats: Public Forum Debate, Parliamentary Debate, and Congressional Debate.
Judges’ training will be available for individuals interested in judging Public Forum, Parliamentary and Congressional Debate.
All questions, concerns and/or issues about the tournament should be directed to: email@example.com
Looking forward to seeing you all,
Aubrey Semple – Program Director, New York City Urban Debate League
Registration will take place on Tabroom.
- All participants are required to have competed in two (2) UDL sponsored tournaments during the debate season to compete THE CONGRESSIONAL DEBATE DIVISION IS AN EXCEPTION TO THIS RULE BECAUSE WE HAD FEWER TOURNAMENTS.
- Students must have submitted their NYCUDL consent form.
- All teams/schools are REQUIRED to attend both days of the tournament until the end of the preliminary debates or when the team is eliminated from the tournament. Teams/schools are not allowed to attend only 1 day of the tournament
- Each school can send up to four (4) teams.
- Each school can send up to 8 (8) students in Congressional Debate.
ONLINE REGISTRATION DEADLINE FOR ALL ENTRIES IS 5 PM ON THE MONDAY OF THE TOURNAMENT WEEK.
If a school registered for the tournament and does not provide teams on the registration, the registration will be considered incomplete and will not be accepted, therefore making the school ineligible to compete. This rule applies to the judge requirement (see judging section)
Each school MUST provide one judge for every two (2) teams competing (for all divisions that are registered for).
We will offer judge training for new/inexperienced judges.
Judges must check in on the morning of the tournament on BOTH Saturday and Sunday.
ALL JUDGES ARE REQUIRED TO STAY IN THE TOURNAMENT UP TO THE FINAL ROUND OF ALL EVENTS.